First Love Ministries, Inc.
Prayer Study # 136
THE TOWER OF BABEL
And the whole earth was of one language and of one accent and mode of expression. And as they journeyed eastward, they found a plain (valley) in the land of Shinar, and they settled and dwell there. And they said one to another, Come, let us make bricks and burn them thoroughly. So they had brick for stone, and slime (bitumen) for mortar. And they said, Come, let us build a city and a tower whose top reaches into the sky, and let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be scattered over the whole earth. And the Lord came down to see the city and the tower which the sons of men had built. And the Lord said, Behold, they are one people and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do, and now nothing they have imagined they can do will be impossible for them. Come, let Us go down and there confound (mix up, confuse) their language , that they may not understand one another’s speech. So the Lord scattered them abroad from that place upon the face of the whole earth, and they gave up building the city. Therefore the name of it was called Babel-because there the Lord confounded the language of all the earth; and from that place the Lord scattered them abroad upon the face of the whole earth. Genesis 11:1-9
Comments on This Passage of Scripture (information taken from Dake’s Annotated Reference Bible:
Leader of Babylon During This Time Period:
Nimrod was the leader of Babylon during the dispersion of mankind and the confusion of languages. Nimrod is the son of Cush, the son of Ham, who cursed by God for looking on his naked, drunken father and telling his older brothers. The implication is that Ham had impure and filthy thoughts of a pornographic nature towards his father. At any rate Noah cursed his son Ham (Genesis 10:15-19) repeating the curse three times. This curse was fully realized when Joshua crossed the Jordan and conquered the Canaanites, direct descendants of Ham. Egypt in Psalm 105:23 is called “the land of Ham.”
Nimrod is described in scripture as a mighty hunter. His name means “rebel” or “let us revolt.” Unfortunately, he used his God given abilities to control and conquer all around him and to turn the people of God who were the descendants of Noah to the occult, to astrology and the whole horoscope system, and to ungodly living. (The Bible clearly teaches against horoscopes and astrology in Leviticus 19:31 and Deuteronomy 18.) His was the first but not the last “God is Dead” movement in history. He made himself a God and created his own religious system that included the Zodiac signs and other Babylonian deities. He instituted full-scale ritual sexuality and idolatry into the mainstream culture. He defiled everything that was godly and destroyed anybody and anything that stood in his way. He was also a gifted musician and used music to lull people into following him. Initially, he most likely convinced people that he was chosen by God and represented the Lord God in the things he did and said, but then he ended up declaring that he was god. Romans 1:23 tells us that, when men reject God, they inevitably turn to false God’s. The Bible traces all false religions to Babylon. Revelation 17:5 speaks of Babylon as “the mother of prostitutes and of the abominations of the earth.”
(Remember the spiritual principle from 1st Corinthians 15:46: However, that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterwards that which is spiritual. In other words, the natural always types what is going to happen in the spiritual. The Old Testament was given for our example: Now all these things [the things that happened in the Old Testament to Israel in the wilderness] happened unto them for examples, and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages are come. 1st Corinthians 10:11)
1. They made bricks instead of using stones:
a. Bricks represent in scripture man-made efforts which is humanism. Many cults today have this “works mentality” or “brick making” as the foundation of their religion. For by grace are ye saved, through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God-Not of works, lest any man should boast. Ephesians 2:8-9
b. Stones are God made. As you come to Him, the living Stone- rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to Him-you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. For in Scripture it says, “See I lay a stone in Zion, a chosen and precious cornerstone, and the one who trusts in Him will never be put to shame.” Now to you who believe, this stone is precious. But to those who do not believe, “The stone that the builders rejected has become the capstone,” and “A stone that causes men to stumble and a rock that makes them fall.” They stumble because they disobey the message-which is also what they were destined for. But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His wonderful light. 1st Peter 2:4-9 NIV
2. They built a city (instead of populating the earth as He had commanded) and a tower (instead of running to the tower the Lord had already provided) with no regard to God’s will:
a. God told the people to “fill the earth and subdue it” (Genesis 1:28) and did not intend for them to congregate in one place.
b. The Lord tells us that His name is the tower that we should have. The Name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous runneth into it and is safe. Proverbs 18:10
3. They built this tower in Babel or Babylon, which we know spiritually represents the whole world system, including false religions and our love of money and power, greed and sensuality, etc. Prior to the coming of the Lord we will see Babylon fall: And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation and kindred and tongue and people, Saying with a loud voice, Fear God and give glory to Him, for the hour of His judgment is come and worship Him that made heaven and earth and the sea and the fountains of water. And there followed another angel saying, Babylon is fallen, is fallen, that great city, because she made all nations drink of the wine of the wrath of her fornication. Revelation 14:6-8
4. They wanted to make a name for themselves: This is an iniquity drive and included in the 5 “I will” statements by Satan in Isaiah 14:12-17:
a. I WILL ASCEND INTO HEAVEN (This person spends time striving for recognition, doing works to get to heaven, social climbing, man pleasing, etc.)
b. I WILL EXALT MY THRONE ABOVE THE STARS OF GOD (This person reacts with competition, gossip, reputation destruction in attempts to drag others down, working for praise, self-exaltation, large building and work programs, etc.)
c. I WILL SIT UPON THE MOUNT OF THE CONGREGATION IN THE SIDES OF THE NORTH (This person is attention seeking; has an insatiable desire to be looked at, listened to, given recognition; this drive is behind the movie star who commits suicide because another now is a bigger star.)
d. I WILL ASCEND ABOVE THE HEIGHTS OF THE CLOUDS (This drive demands soulishness with feelings, emotional bliss, and imaginations and is the drive behind alcohol and drug abuse, gambling, religious ecstasy, illicit sex, sweets, food drives, escapism, hype, etc.)
e. I WILL BE LIKE THE MOST HIGH (People with this drive desire to be exalted above others, win every argument, get own way; this drive demands that the one afflicted be recognized as #1; often doctors have this drive which we call a god-complex. It causes fights, strife, and murder.)
WHAT IS AN INIQUITY DRIVE?
An iniquity is a drive in us to sin. It is not sin in the sense that sin is carrying out the act while iniquity is the gas in the car or the drive or the motivation that gets us there. It is not a demon but is a spiritual force that demons sometimes feed on. Iniquities are frequently passed down ancestrally through the generations. I personally believe that one reason why we so often see the “like father, like son” syndrome where children often have the same problems that parents had or have and why certain addictions or sexual/behavioral drives or lusts seem to run in families is because of iniquity drives.
When we minister to people in the area of iniquity drives, we don’t cast them out as we do when we are dealing with demonic strongholds. We pray that the Lord will cut the person off from the drive, after they have repented from their sins and the sins of their generational lines and acknowledge that they want to be free. I have found that this is most often not a one time deal but must be done over and over until the iniquity drive is weakened and finally passes from us.
We ask the Lord to cause the iniquity to “pass” from us and “clothe us with a change of garments.” I am very much a fan of personal deliverance and personal ministry in the area of iniquity drives where the person himself can pray these things over himself.
Zechariah 3:4 tells us: And he answered and spake unto those that stood before him, saying, Take away the filthy garments from him. And unto him he said, Behold, I have caused thine iniquity to pass from you, and I will clothe you with a change of garments.
We can also ask the Lord to “subdue” iniquity drives in us. Micah 7:19 tells us: He will turn again; He will have compassion upon us; He will subdue our iniquities; and thou wilt cast all their sins into the depths of the sea. We can take great comfort in the fact that there is forgiveness with the Lord. Psalm 130 says, If thou, LORD, shouldest mark iniquities, oh LORD, who shall stand? But there is forgiveness with thee, that thou mayest be feared. And Isaiah 53:5 says, …He was bruised for our iniquities.
Iniquities are passed down from generation to generation unless they are cut off. Therefore, it is extremely important that we deal with them. Numbers 14:18(as well as Exodus 20:4-5, Exodus 34:6-7, Deuteronomy 5:9) tells us that they are passed down to the third and fourth generation: The LORD is longsuffering and abundant in mercy, forgiving iniquity and transgression; but He by no means clears the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generation. Unfortunately for our permissive society, iniquities for illegitimate births go to ten generations, unless broken through prayer by the grace and mercy of our God. Deuteronomy 23:2 says, One of illegitimate birth shall not enter the congregation of the Lord even to the tenth generation; none of his descendants shall enter the congregation of the Lord.
So how can we be delivered from what our ancestors did or our own self- imposed iniquity drives?
1. By recognizing the specific iniquity drive in us and praying over a course of days, weeks, months or years, until we see victory, that that specific drive be cut off from us and our bloodline: Often it is helpful for someone in spiritual authority to pray with you about this. For I will declare my iniquities; I will be sorry for my sins. Psalm 38:18
2. By confessing to God: But if they confess their iniquity and the iniquity of their fathers, with their unfaithfulness in which they were unfaithful to Me, and that they also have walked contrary to Me…Then will I remember my covenant with Abraham will I remember, and I will remember the land. Leviticus 26: 40 & 42
We need to take responsibility for generational things in our families. We do this by taking ownership and repenting for the sin that opened our ancestors up to the iniquity, even though we did not commit the sin. Jeremiah 14:20 tells us: We acknowledge, O LORD, our wickedness and the iniquity of our fathers. For we have sinned against You.
3. By accepting the vicarious sacrifice of Christ in our behalf: But He was wounded for our transgressions. HE WAS BRUISED FOR OUR INIQUITIES; the chastisement for our peace was upon Him, and with His stripes we are healed. Isaiah 53:5
4. By pleading the purification of His Blood: Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Make me hear joy and gladness, that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice. Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from thy presence, and take not thy Holy Spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy of my salvation and uphold me with a willing spirit. Then will I teach transgressors thy way, and sinners shall be converted unto thee. Psalm 51:7-13
[Hyssop is the little shrub with which the blood and water of purification were applied.]
5. By being genuinely sorry and coming to the Lord with a broken and contrite heart. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise. Psalm 51:17