First Love Ministries, Inc.
PRAYER STUDY #140
How to Be an Overcomer in a Non-Christian World
(BACK TO BASICS)
And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation and strength, and the kingdom of God and the power of His Christ, for the accuser of the brethren is cast down, who accused them before our God day and night.
And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they loved not their lives unto the death.
Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabitants of the earth and of the sea! For the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.
Many are struggling in this hour. I have seen that a very dark, perverse and subtle spirit has tried to attach itself to this ministry. Many here are struggling with sexual issues, fear about finances, feelings of rejection, woundedness, depression, and weariness. This is a calculated attack by the enemy against the Lord’s people here to try to bring discredit and defeat at a time when we are so vulnerable. Don’t give up now, even if you have fallen. Get up and keep going. We cannot allow the enemy to discourage us. The work ahead is too important to allow Satan to get any foothold and cause any disunity. We must overcome our own struggles, fears and areas of disobedience and present a united front against the enemy of our souls. The Lord has given us many keys to overcoming.
1. We must walk by faith, for faith is the overcoming principle in the world conflict. For whatever is born of God overcomes the world; and this is the victory that overcomes the world, even our faith. Who is he that overcomes the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is Son of God. 1st John 5:4-5
Remember that “faith worketh by love” (Galatians 5:6), and that “without faith, it is impossible to please God.” (Hebrews 11:6) Jude adds, “Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.” (Jude 3)
2. We must confess positively. And Jesus, answering, saith unto them, Have faith in God. For verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea, and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass, he shall have whatever he saith. (Mark 11:23)
Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and they who indulge in it shall eat the fruit of it [for death or life]. Proverbs 18:21 AMP
Reckless words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing. Proverbs 12:18 NIV
So we always have courage. We know that while we live in this body, we are away from the Lord. We live by what we believe, not by what we see. 2nd Corinthians 5:6-7 New Century Version
3. We must read the Word. Your word is a lamp unto my feet and a light for my path. Psalm 119:105 NIV
Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ, also loved the church and gave Himself up for her, so that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she might be holy and blameless. Ephesians 5:25-27
Blessed (happy, fortunate, prosperous, and enviable) is the man who walks and lives not in the counsel of the ungodly [following their advice, their plans and purposes], nor stands [submissive and inactive] in the path where sinners walk, nor sits down [to relax and rest], where the scornful [and the mockers] gather. But his delight and desire are in the law of the Lord, and on His law (the precepts, the instructions, the teachings of God), he habitually meditates (ponders and studies) by day and by night. And he shall be like a tree firmly planted [and tended]by the streams of water, ready to bring forth its fruit in its season; its leaf also shall not fade or wither; and everything he does shall prosper [and come to maturity]. Psalm 1:1-3
4. We must crucify the flesh. And He said to all, If any person wills to come after Me, let him deny himself [disown himself, forget, lose sight of himself, and his own interests, refuse and give up himself] and take up his cross daily and follow Me [cleave steadfastly to Me, conform wholly to My example in living and, if need be, in dying also]. For whoever would preserve his life and save it will lose and destroy it, but whoever loses his life for My sake, he will preserve and save it [from the penalty of eternal death]. For what does it profit a man, if he gains the whole world and ruins or forfeits (loses) himself? Luke 9:23-25 AMP
The acts of the sinful nature [THE FLESH] are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity, and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions, and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other. Galatians 5:19-26 NIV
5. We must pray. Pray without ceasing. 1st Thessalonians 5:17 KJV – Pray continually. 1st Thessalonians 5:17 New Century Version – And never stop praying. 1st Thessalonians 5:17 Contemporary English Version- Pray all the time. 1st Thessalonians 5:17 The Message- Keep on praying. 1st Thessalonians 7:17 NLT Be unceasingly in prayer [praying perseveringly]. 1st Thessalonians 5:17 AMP
6. We must praise. With the whole heart(Psalm 9:1), with praise that can be heard(Acts 16:25 & Psalm 66:8), with shouting(Psalm 47:1), with singing(Psalm 98:1), with a joyful noise(Psalm 66:1-2), with crying out(Isaiah 12:6 and Psalm 89:26), with laughter(Psalm 126:2), with skill on musical instruments(Psalm 33:2), with thanksgiving(Psalm 69:30), by bowing and kneeling before Him(Philippians 2:10-11, Ephesians 3:14), by falling prostrate before Him(Ezekiel 1:28) , with clapping of hands(Psalm 47:1), by raising hands(Psalm 63:4), with dancing(Psalm 30:11, 2nd Samuel 6:14), and by speaking in tongues(1st Corinthians 14:16-17). (Also see Psalms 115, 148, 149, 150, and 1st Thessalonians 5).
7. We must put on the whole armor of God. Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore, take unto you the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand, therefore, having your loins girded about with truth and having on the breastplate of righteousness. And your feet shot with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith with which you shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints; And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make know the mystery of the gospel. Ephesians 6:10-20
8. Keep in Right Fellowship with Believers and Under Spiritual Authority. Let us not give up meeting together as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another-and all the more as you see the Day approaching. Hebrews 10:25 NIV
Obey your leaders and submit to their authority. They keep watch over you as men who must give an account. Obey them so that their work will be a joy, not a burden, for that would be of no advantage to you. Hebrews 13:17 NIV
But we request of you, brethren, that you appreciate those who diligently labor among you, and have charge over you in the Lord and give you instruction, and that you esteem them very highly in love because of their work. Live in peace with one another. We urge you, brethren, admonish the unruly, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with everyone. 1st Thessalonians 5:12-14 New American Standard
And now, a word to you who are elders in the churches: I, too, am an elder and a witness to the sufferings of Christ. And I, too, will share his glory and his honor when he returns. As a fellow elder, this is my appeal to you: Care for the flock of God entrusted to you. Watch over it willingly, not grudgingly-not for what you will get out of it, but because you are eager to serve God. Don’t lord it over the people assigned to your care, but lead them by your good example. And when the head Shepherd comes, our reward will be a never- ending share in his glory and honor. You younger men, accept the authority of the elders. And all of you, serve each other in humility, for “God sets himself against the proud, but he shows favor to the humble.” So humble yourselves under the mighty power of God and in his good time he will honor you. Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about what happens to you. Be careful! Watch out for attacks from the Devil, your great enemy. He prowls around like a roaring lion, looking for some victim to devour. Take a firm stand against him, and be strong in your faith. Remember that your Christian brothers and sisters all over the world are going through the same kind of suffering you are. In his kindness, God called you to his eternal glory by means of Jesus Christ. After you have suffered a little while, he will restore, support, and strengthen you, and he will place you on a firm foundation. All power is his forever and ever. Amen. 1st Peter 5:1-10 New Living Translation
REWARDS FOR THE OVERCOMER